As I was eating this salad the other day, it suddenly dawned on me
that I hadn’t seen any kind of berries on the fresh fruit counter at the hotel
in Mexico.
I picked up the original containers and read both labels: Product of Mexico.
Information on Google:
Which countries produce the most blackberries, raspberries and
strawberries?
“Worldwide, Mexico is the leading producer of blackberries,
raspberries and strawberries, with nearly the entire crop being produced for
export into the off-season fresh markets in North America and Europe.”
And because I like to read legends, I continued my research to expand my knowledge. : )
Do you know why the raspberries are red?
“The nymph Ida, daughter of the King of Crete and nurse of
Zeus, wanted to pick a raspberry to calm his sorrow. She pricked her breast
with the raspberry thorns and the fruit then turned a blood-red colour.”
Why are the blackberries black?
“The blackberry was once beautiful, but was cursed by Lucifer
when he fell into the bush when forced out of heaven.”
How about the strawberries?
“When Adonis died, Venus wept uncontrollably. The tears rolled
down her cheek and dropped to the earth turning into heart shaped strawberries.”
I prefer the Cherokee Story:
"One day, seeing that a man was sorry after arguing with his
wife, the Sun sends the first strawberries to the land. The sweet fruit slows
the wife down, allowing her husband to catch up and apologize.”
To this day, strawberries remind people to be kind to each
other.
No outro dia, enquanto comia esta salada, lembrei-me subitamente de que não tinha visto nenhum tipo de frutos silvestres no balcão de frutas frescas do hotel no México.
Peguei nas embalagens
originais e li os dois rótulos: Produto do México.
Informações no Google:
Quais são os países que produzem
mais amoras, framboesas e morangos?
“A nível mundial, o
México é o principal produtor de amoras, framboesas e morangos, com quase toda
a colheita produzida destinada para exportação quando estão fora de época na
América do Norte e na Europa.”
E porque gosto de ler lendas, continuei a pesquisar para alargar os meus conhecimentos... : )
Sabem por que é que as framboesas são vermelhas?
“A ninfa Ida, filha do rei
de Creta e enfermeira de Zeus, queria colher uma framboesa para acalmar a sua
tristeza. Magou-se no peito com os espinhos da framboesa e a fruta ficou com
uma cor vermelho-sangue.”
Por que é que as amoras são pretas?
“A amora já foi linda, mas foi amaldiçoada por Lúcifer quando caiu no mato depois de ter sido banido do paraíso."
E os morangos?
“Quando Adónis morreu, Vénus
chorou incontrolavelmente. As lágrimas rolaram pelo seu rosto e caíram na
terra, transformando-se em morangos em forma de coração.”
Eu prefiro a história
Cherokee:
“Um dia, vendo que um
homem estava arrependido depois de discutir com a sua esposa, o Sol mandou os
primeiros morangos para a terra. A fruta doce fez com que a esposa andasse mais
devagar, permitindo que o marido a alcançasse para lhe pedir desculpas.”
Até hoje, os morangos continuam a lembrar-nos de que devemos ser gentis e generosos uns com os outros.
: )

...who knew?
ResponderEliminar: ))
EliminarMexico produces a great deal of fruit, but the amount of pesticides and other chemicals they use is staggering. We stay away from Mexican produce like the plague.
ResponderEliminarI believe you are right. I should have known. The blueberries I bought a couple of days ago are from Chile.
Eliminar"Are Chilean blueberries safe?
Blueberries from Chile are Now Certified by the American Heart Association Heart-Check Food Certification Program." I hope it's from a reliable source.
When in season I buy blueberries grown in B.C. July-September.
Some tall tales there it seems.
ResponderEliminarYes. : )
EliminarConfesso que não sou muito de saladas!
ResponderEliminarIsabel Sá
Brilhos da Moda
Para mim, saladas o ano inteiro.
EliminarLove the stories! I had no idea they existed for fruit…
ResponderEliminarI'm always looking for legends and symbolisms.
EliminarÀs tantas o México exporta todos os frutos que produz.
ResponderEliminarEssa tua salada tem muito bom aspecto e já é 'natural' do Canadá.
Sim senhora, não te sabia apreciadora dessas Lendas encantadas, ou de encantar... : ))
Beijos.
Sim, sempre gostei de ler lendas e simbolismos. E gosto de as contar.
EliminarEnquanto eu e a pequenina de seis anos marcávamos as nossas pegadas – intencionalmente - na areia molhada, contei-lhe a história simplificada de “Pegadas na Areia”. : )
Bjs
I love these legends!
ResponderEliminarMe too. All my life ...
EliminarBerries, especially blueberries, are considered the most healthy fruit. Thanks for sharing the legends about them.
ResponderEliminarYes, because they are considered very healthy, I buy them all year round.
Eliminar